Digital technology is revolutionising how we get our news and offering new ways to help in a humanitarian disaster. Understanding those changes and evolving to meet them is vital to ensuring the DEC remains highly-effective in a digital age. We have been working with the DEC to develop a transformational roadmap – covering digital, IT, culture and internal comms – to be delivered across a three year period.
We began by understanding the and the evolving context in which the organisation operates. We reviewed:
- The organisation’s existing model, goals, aims and culture
- External environment, including:
- changing technology available within disasters
- new models of giving aid during a disaster
- trends within media consumption
- challenges of delivering aid within a humanitarian disaster
- UX research delivered insight into what drives people to engage during humanitarian disasters.
- We interviewed senior strategists in broadcast, international aid charities and major digital providers to understand how their work around humanitarian disaster was evolving.
- Transformation workshops were held to identify vision, ethos and desired position over a three year time period.
- Developed prioritisation matrix and a three year, fully-costed roadmap to deliver transformation.
The fully-costed and resourced roadmap has been approved by trustees and is moving to execution.
What the DEC say:
“We had already done quite a bit of thinking about how digital was fundamentally changing our strategic context. We had made a substantial commitment to make our communications and fundraising digital first. What could employing a consultant possibly add?
“Alison brought a huge breadth of strategic voluntary sector digital experience and an outsider’s eye to help us sharpen our understanding of our situation. She provided a framework and rigour to ensure we challenged ourselves to deliver a programme that was truly transformational rather than just a step change. She saw connections where we discrete projects defined by internal structures. She helped us create a real roadmap for digital transformation rather than simply doing more digital work.”
Brendan Paddy, Director of Communications, Disasters Emergency Commission
Want to chat?
We love chatting about our work and how it can be applied, so if you found this interesting and want to talk just get in touch – email@example.com.